You can start preparing for the transition immediately, educating the relevant people in your business and re-structuring your processes in line with the new high level structure. We have a downloadable internal communications pack that you may find useful for this. We suggest that you build new processes outside of your existing system.
ISO 9001:2008 will be recognized and can be audited to until September 2018, which will be the end of the 3 year transition period for ISO 9001:2015. It’s best to get started with your transition planning as soon as possible so that you can pro-actively manage this process. Please note, all organizations must transition to the new standard by the transition deadline at which point certificates for ISO 9001:2008 will no longer be valid.
While there is no specific requirement for a quality manual in ISO 9001:2015, there is a requirement to provide evidence of “documented information” to support the QMS. As long as the information needed to evidence the management system is kept and available, how an organization does it is not important. While some organizations may choose to keep a dedicated quality manual, others can use a less centralized approach. This recognizes changes in technology and the differing media now used to record and monitor information.
Anexas has produced a mapping guide which compares the clauses between both versions of the standard. This is a useful document that will help you to quickly identify the key changes and which clauses they refer to.
- The adoption of the high level structure as set out in Annex SL of ISO Directives Part.
- An explicit requirement for risk-based thinking to support and improve the understanding and application of the process approach.
- Fewer prescriptive requirements
- More flexibility regarding documentation
- Improved applicability for services.
- A requirement to define the boundaries of the QMS
- Increased emphasis on organizational context
- Increased leadership requirements
- Greater emphasis on achieving desired process results to improve customer satisfaction