Heijunka is a lean tool used for minimizing the overburden & unevenness in a production process.
With the implementation of Heijunka the batch production can be stopped and can start processing the orders as per the customer requirement. By this the inventory costs will come down as there will be less volume of goods when the customer demand is low.
Using Heijunka when the varying customer demands are met the process and the team will be protected from getting overburden. Heijunka will help to produce & deliver the products to the customer at a balanced rate so that the variations are handled as per the average demand which is achieved by the following ways
- Levelling by volume
- Levelling by type
Levelling by Volume
Processing in batches has to be stopped and continuous flow of work is to be implemented to reduce the inventory costs. Lean emphasises that production to be continued only when there are orders from the customers.
The average volumes of all orders received are processed to level out the production.
Ex: If the average customer demand is 30 orders per week and the varying daily demand is Mon; 7, Tue; 10, Wed; 5 ….etc. Using Heijunka we can level out production by quantity, i.e. average 5 orders per day are to be processed for levelling the volume. By this the process runs smoothly without overburden when there are fluctuations during the week.
Levelling by Type
When you are having a family of products and want to level the production by each type based on the average demand of the product Heijunka can be used to organize the work smoothly.
Example ; If you have 7 orders per week for product A, 4 orders per week for product B, 9 orders per week for product C and 5 products per week for product D, the production can be levelled to your capacity to produce 25 numbers in total per week. However you can use Heijunka for levelling the production by each product type.
Benefits of Heijunka
Balances the work flow with respect to the customer demand
Overproduction is reduced by managing the inventory.
Eliminates the overburden
Pull system is enhanced
5 Important Lean Tools and Concepts
Lean management is undoubtedly a vital tool in reducing waste in production process. But organization struggle to spot and rectify those waste because they weren't alert to the methodology to spot those waste. Let’s discuss the 5 important lean tools and techniques to use in any manufacturing organizations to spot the waste.
Takt Time As the old saying “Time and Tide watch for no man”, it's a great deal important in reducing the time wastage by calculating the time to complete a specific task supported customer demand not just supported resources. Takt Time in Lean management may be a rate at which the finished goods to be completed to satisfy customer demand. Thus it will be computed using the below formula
1. lean management
For example, let’s conclude an information entry firm having 9 hour workday with countingone hour break time. Thus it's 8 hours for productive hours during a day. The clients require the firm to complete 20 jobs during a day. Therefore Available productive hours during a day = 8 (or) 480 minutes Customer demand (Jobs/day) = 20 Takt Time = 480/20 = 20 minutes/job We need to grasp the takt time calculated here is per job not per organization. Sometimes the duty will be distributed to different staffer to figure in parallel. When assigning the work to the staff members the actual task must be considered in allocating cut-off date. Also the demand is taken into account constant as 20 it can vary supported client’s objective.
2. Cellular Manufacturing
Cellular manufacturing is an approach to style and process the assembly work by splitting them into small pieces within a closed proximity. In manufacturing cell approach all the operations to complete the finished products are drained either U-shaped, circular or Zig-Zag layout of the manufacturing unit. this can improve the graceful flow of materials and components through the assembly process with minimal transport or delay.
3. Five “Whys”?
There is no standard set of inquiries to list out because the explanations behind every problem will be different. But it's proven and made as an honest practice that a minimum of minimum of 5 whys to be asked to see the basis explanation for the defects or issues. These inquiries to be framed when the organization is behind its goals and objectives. For example: Delivery deadline missed 5 Important Lean Tools and ideas
4. Five “S”
This is one amongst the foremost powerful and successful tool to implement in any reasonably industry for improving efficiency in manufacturing practices. 5S may be a simple tool for organizing your workplace during a clean, efficient and safe manner to reinforce your productivity. it's divided into 5 phases, each named after a distinct Japanese term as Seiri, Seiton, Seiso, Seiketsu, Shitsuke, hence the name 5 S. In English they're as follows lean sigma
5. SMED or Quick Changeover
- The lean management focuses more one splitting up the duty to scale back waste in every aspect, it's important to run a production unit with minimum changeover time. In simple, the time taken to get rid of one finished piece and replace the provision material to begin another production process should be reduced the maximum amount as possible. The best examples adorned by top lean manufacturing organizations are Formula race pit stops. The every millisecond in changing and revelling the machine costs the winning event. Thus planning and arranging the method before hand with excellent team work can improve the efficiency of production.
In Lean management there are number of tools introduced with objective of reducing the waste to enhance efficiency in productivity. These 5 tools are used extensively among different industrial sector. But there are other tools that are equally important for a high quality professional to be told. Anexas Bangalore, a number one Lean Six Sigma Consulting, Training & certification firm in Bangalore, India, offers Quality Certification Programs (Six Sigma, Lean, ISO, etc.). it's important to become an authorized professional in your organization to style and implement the lean tools and ideas.
Jidoka is a lean manufacturing principle which detects any defect automatically in a process & stops it by alerting the operator to fix the problem.
The following are the main stages in Jidoka
- Defect or abnormality detection
- Stop the process
- Take interim action
- Identify the root cause & prevent it
The Jidoka concept was developed by Sakichi Toyoda in the early 1900’s. Jidoka is one of the main pillars of Toyota Production System (TPS). It plays a key role in Lean implementation.
Whenever a defect or abnormality is detected automatically the process should be stopped. There are various reasons for the stoppage
One of the main reasons for stoppage of a process whenever you encounter a quality issue. If the defect is passed to further processing without detection, the value addition goes in vain. If defective products are produced it takes more resources & time to fix the issue.
Earlier the detection better the process. If there is a delay identifying the issue it may cause further damage. In total stopping the process at the origin of defect/problem reduces the follow-up costs & can be fixed easily.
Whenever we find problem with the process it has to be stopped irrespective of the quality of the product. These process issues gradually may further lead to more problems affecting the quality cost & safety in the process.
One of the common examples is material shortage which should be considered as a stop as this is an abnormality & time is wasted waiting for the material.
It is important that the process stops should happen automatically whenever there is an abnormality. If not detected automatically the costs to fix the problem would multiply. Poka Yoke is one of the tools that can be used to prevent the abnormalities.
After the process is stopped, we should fix it immediately wherever possible. If it is a maintenance issue do the maintenance, if it is a quality issue fix it. If you can fix the problem permanently it is better. If not quick fix & further investigate to find the root cause & prevent it from recurring.
Logistic regression is a statistical technique used to predict probability of binary response based on one or more independent variables. It means that, given a certain factors, logistic regression is used to predict an outcome, which has two values such as 0 or 1, pass or fail, yes or no etc.
Binary Logistic Regression:-
Binary logistic regression examines the relationship between one or more X variables and a categorical response with two categories.
The output of the process is measured in Attribute data such as Pass/Fail or Yes/No. This requires a completely different regression approach, called Binary Logistic Regression.
Binary logistic regression is used to predict the odds of being a case based on the values of the independent variables (predictors). ... Like other forms of regression analysis, logistic regression makes use of one or more predictor variables that may be either continuous or categorical.
Also the output of the process can be measured in Attribute data into more than two categories, such as poor, good, and excellent, or north, south, east, and west. This requires a completely different regression approach, called Ordinal, Nominal Logistic Regression.
Ordinal Logistic regression:-
Ordinal logistic regression examines the relationship between one or more predictors and an ordinal response. Ordinal variables are categorical variables that have three or more levels with a natural ordering, such as strongly disagree, disagree, neutral, agree, and strongly agree, or small, medium and large
Nominal Logistic Regression:-
Nominal logistic regression examines the relationship between one or more X variables and a categorical response with three or more categories that do not follow a natural order. A response has three or more outcomes that do not have an order, such as scratch, dent and tear.
Categories for the response cannot be arranged from least to greatest such as automotive company want to know whether the color of the vehicle that consumers purchase is related to their gender or age. Because the colors of the vehicles cannot be arranged from least to greatest, the response categories do not follow a natural order.
How to use a Fishbone Diagram?
- The Fishbone Diagram(G) could be a tool for analyzing process dispersion. it's also named because the “Ishikawa diagram,” because Kaoru Ishikawa developed it, and also the “fishbone diagram,” because the whole diagram resembles a fish skeleton. The diagram illustrates the most causes and subcauses resulting in an impression (symptom). it's a team brainstorming tool accustomed identify potential root causes(G) to problems. due to its function it should be named as a causeand-effect diagram. in an exceedingly typical Fishbone diagram, the effect is sometimes a controversy has to be resolved, and is placed at the “fish head”. The causes of the effect are then laid out along the “bones”, and confidential into differing types along the branches. Further causes are often laid out alongside further side branches. that the general structure of a fishbone diagram is presented below.
- The Fishbone Diagram(G) could be a tool for analyzing process dispersion. it's also named because the “Ishikawa diagram,” because Kaoru Ishikawa developed it, and also the “fishbone diagram,” because the whole diagram resembles a fish skeleton. The diagram illustrates the most causes and subcauses resulting in an impression (symptom). it's a team brainstorming tool accustomed identify potential root causes(G) to problems. due to its function it should be named as a cause and-effect diagram. in an exceedingly typical Fishbone diagram, the effect is sometimes a controversy has to be resolved, and is placed at the “fish head”. The causes of the effect are then laid out along the “bones”, and restricted into differing types along the branches. Further causes are often laid out alongside further side branches. that the general structure of a fishbone diagram is presented below. logically
The Fishbone diagram may well be applied when it's wanted to:
Focus attention on one specific issue or problem.
Focus the team on the causes(G), not the symptoms.
Organize and display graphically the assorted theories about what the foundation causes(G) of a controversy is also.
Displays relationships clearly and reasonably – The fishbone diagram captures the links and relationships among the possible causes and results displayed within the diagram. Categorized logically, the correlation are often understood at a look.
Shows all causes together – Any cause or causal chain
Displayed on the fishbone diagram could lead on to the matter. The fishbone diagram illustrates each and each possible reason in an exceedingly single diagram, which is helpful for in-depth analysis. This makes it a great tool for presenting the matter and solutions to stakeholders.
Involves Team in brainstorming – Edraw fishbone diagram could be a good way to spice up and structure brainstorming about the explanations for a circumstance result because it captures all the causes.
Input for problem solving – Seeing the explanations in visual graph and exploring the foundation cause may stimulate your team to search out out possible solutions to the issues.
Maintains team focus – The fishbone framework can keep your team focused as you discuss what should be done to unravel the matter or achieve a typical goal. It helps to investigate every involved party. And it ensures that no-one is wasting energy chasing nonexistent problems.
A problem consists of a limited number of causes, which are successively composed of sub causes. Distinguish these causes and sub causes could be a useful step to cope with the matter.
How to select a successful Six sigma Project
In the beginning periods of Six Sigma Initiatives, the most noticeable exercises are the preparation of Six Sigma specialists ordinarily Green Belts and Black Belts-and the Projects that these individuals lead. Perceiving the significance of their Project, associations settle on their selections of contender for this preparation cautiously. Preparing is by and large directed expertly.
Project work assumes a noteworthy job in the execution of Six Sigma and ought to have a major budgetary effect. Project achievement is basic to the arrival on interest in Six Sigma. By what means would efforts be able to best be centred so an association gets the ideal outcomes?
Project determination and building authoritative help through the Project Champion or Sponsor are two basic factors in making progress with Six Sigma Projects. Most associations select Projects by asking their Champions, or Project Sponsors, to assign Projects. This includes the Champions subsequently constructing their help. Sadly, new Champions don't generally comprehend what a decent Six Sigma Project resembles so they present a rundown of all the great improvement thoughts on their plate.
These Projects regularly can be categorized as one of a few classifications:
Do It Projects, for example, supplant all PCs that are over two years of age with new models. Advancement Projects, for example, build up another item to serve another market. Critical thinking Projects, for example, decide the main driver of the case packer vacation.
While smart thoughts, these are not really acceptable Six Sigma Projects. Likewise recollect, with a Six Sigma Project, the answer for the issue ought to be obscure. In the event that the appropriate response is now known, it doesn't require a Six Sigma Project for development. The significant distinction between general improvement Projects and a Six Sigma Project is the emphasis on improving a procedure by moving the normal outcome, diminishing the variety or both.
Also, Six Sigma accentuates that each Project contributes significantly to the reality of the association by improving quality, diminishing costs, expanding consumer loyalty or prodding top-line development. Accomplishing process improvement with budgetary effect necessitates that Projects be deliberately chosen by the organization, claimed by a Champion and drove by an exceptionally prepared Project Leader. To amplify a Project achievement rate, there are a few basic achievement factors that help to make a structure for progress.
Four Factors Critical to Success
1. Project Champion: Six Sigma Project Champions own the Project. This individual speaks to the interests of the organization and has the responsibility of guaranteeing the achievement of the Project. The Champion's particular exercises remember interest for Project determination, opening shot of the Project with the Project head Green Belt or Black Belt-discussing normally with the Project chief and group and offering hierarchical help to the Project group. A Six Sigma Project Champion is engaged with the Project and offers excited help for the Project, however doesn't run the everyday gatherings or exercises. The Champion attempts to maintain the emphasis on authoritative key objectives and targets, never letting the group get diverted or debilitated.
2. Project Leader: Six Sigma Project Leaders, generally a Black Belt or Green Belt, run the Project. Great Six Sigma Belt preparing outfits the chose people with the Six Sigma system and the related instruments and aptitudes to lead and run a Six Sigma Project. This philosophy known by its means Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control or DMAIC-when utilized properly and drove with consistency, manages the Project group through the means to improve the procedure related with the particular Project.
People chose to be prepared as Green Belts or Black Belts must be able to become familiar with the technique, instruments and abilities. In the preparation they get familiar with the procedure see concentrated on accomplishing the hierarchical objectives and destinations by improving the procedure. They have the help of the board to invest energy in preparing and work on the extend and have the quality of authority to keep the group concentrated and on Project.
3. Project Selection: Picking the correct activities is a key obligation of authoritative initiative. Assets are constrained, so set needs on Six Sigma extends explicitly for process improvement so each Project underpins the accompanying models:
Gives an immediate connect to the vital objectives of the association. For each Project proposed, list every particular key objective that is connected to the Project. On the off chance that at any rate one vital objective for the Project can't be distinguished, take the Project off the rundown.
Legitimately impacts key business goals. For each proposed Project, indicate how it will affect a key business objective.
Improves a procedure in a quantifiable manner. Rundown all basic to quality (CTQ) forms. Assess the deformities per million chances and express this as a sigma level. Set an association objective for sigma level achievement. Rank the CTQs and work all together with the most exceedingly awful recorded first.
Money related commitment. Does the Project meet least budgetary commitment to the main concern productivity or top-line development? An association might need to set up a base monetary effect dependent on expected Project costs, which regularly can be $20,000 to $40,000 for significant activities. Does the general Six Sigma process contribute enough to money related outcomes? Two percent of gross deals is a helpful rule for yearly reserve funds sway for an all-around run Six Sigma activity. Direct advantages to key clients. Rundown the particular clients and advantages expected-improved client support is a decent procedure objective for booking, warehousing, delivery and creation arranging.
These measures guarantee that the Six Sigma Project tends to a key procedure that improves the organization's quality and benefit just as the fulfilment of its clients.
4. Project Charter: Each Project that an association enables ought to have a Project sanction. For Six Sigma Projects where the group capacities for a considerable length of time and needs clear heading, the Project sanction is basic. This archive must contain the entirety of the basic data to centre and guide the Project group exercises through the DMAIC procedure.
The Project sanction is a rundown report, in a perfect world one page long containing the accompanying data,
Business case and Project basis/key drivers. A synopsis of the vital business circumstance that is the inspiration for this Project. This synopsis is connected to the key objectives showed in the segment on Project choice.
Project articulation. A straightforward, succinct explanation that clarifies what the group will deal with and what isn't the focal point of the Project, what the group is relied upon to achieve and a deadline for accomplishing the essential objective.
Project objectives. The essential objective is the particular improvement objective related with the Project articulation, which is connected to the monetary profits and consumer loyalty desires. The auxiliary objectives are extra objectives that will be accomplished because of the essential objective, for example, expanded creation limit and decreased materials costs that are acknowledged from improved nature of an item or administration.
Procedure and procedure limits. Determine the procedure that is the focal point of the improvement exertion. Recognize the particular beginning and consummation limits for the Project collaboration.
Project timetable and achievements. Recognize a timetable for the Project, including the beginning and end dates. Propose start and end dates for each progression of the DMAIC approach. Projects ought to be feasible in four to eight months. Colleagues. Every Six Sigma Project will have from five to seven colleagues. On the off chance that mastery from extra people is required, consider them as help assets as opposed to full-time colleagues. Colleagues ought to incorporate individuals chose to speak to the representatives who take a shot at the procedure related with the Project, designing and upkeep capacities, and the outside client of the procedure, just as the previous and following procedures.
These are the keys to an association's prosperity. Select and train great Champions and Project Leaders. Select the correct Projects, organize them and obviously sanction them. In the event that in the Six Sigma Project the normal outcomes are not being accomplished, the appropriate response may lay inside these four basic achievement factors.
Associations put resources into Six Sigma to accomplish an arrival for themselves and improvement for their clients. Effective Six Sigma Projects have a high effect and recompense to the association. They are the consequence of cautious determination, arranging and execution by the association, the executives by the Champion, authority by the Belts and difficult work by the Project group following the heading summed up in the Project sanction. They don't occur by some coincidence. Follow the procedure accomplish the outcomes
The term takt time is derived from the German word Taktzeit which means beat or pulse. The rate at which you need to produce or manufacture a product to meet the customer requirement is called takt time.
It is an essential tool for efficient flow of goods through the process.
Takt Time = Total available production time / Average Customer demand
Consider the active time only for calculation excluding the breaks, shift changeovers & scheduled maintenance. Production time available & customer demand has to be taken into frames for accurate results. Let us consider the following example.
Let us imagine a company manufacturing printing machine. The company operates 6 days a week at 9 hours per shift including 30 mins lunch break & two 15 mins breaks. The company receives 12 printing machines per week as an average order.
By using the above mentioned formula the total available production time is 8 hours per day which is 480 minutes per day & 2880 minutes per week.
Now the takt time is 2880/12 = 240 minutes to produce one printing machine.
With the given data one can plan the capacity against the customer demand.
There is always a confusion of takt time to lead time & cycle time.
Takt time: The maximum time required to meet the customer demand.
Cycle time: Starts when the actual work begins on the unit and ends when it is ready for delivery.
Lead time: Measures the time elapsed between order and delivery.
For better performance all the above three metrics has to be taken into consideration. Takt time helps to reduce the unevenness of the workflow by optimizing the team’s capacity and also controls overproduction.
Benefits of Takt time
- Helps in establishing a continuous workflow.
- The team’s capacity is optimised to meet the customer demand
- Reduces unevenness & overproduction
Attribute Agreement Analysis
• Every time someone makes a choice – like, “Is this the correct candidate?” – it's critical that the decision-maker would choose the identical choice again which others would reach the identical conclusion. Attribute agreement analysis measures whether or not several people making a judgment or assessment of the identical item would have a high level of agreement among themselves.
• Helps to characterize the standard of the info
• Determines the world of non-agreement • Helps in calibrating appraisers, judges, or assessors for a better level of agreement
• Easy to research with statistical software or a specialized worksheet
• How to Use
• Step 1. Set-up a structured study where variety of things are assessed over once by over one assessor. Have the things judged by an expert, which can be stated because the “standard” (can be one person or a panel – see table below).
• Step 2. Conduct the assessment with the assessors in a very blind environment. do} not know once they are evaluating the identical items and that they don't know what the opposite assessors are doing.
• Step 3. Enter the info in a statistical software package or an Excel spreadsheet already founded to research this kind of knowledge (built-in formula).
• Step 4. Analyze the results: Is there good agreement between appraisers? Each appraiser vs. the standard? All appraisers vs. the standard?
• Step 5. Draw your conclusions and choose on the course of actions needed if the amount of agreement is below a collection threshold. Usually > 80 percent is taken into account to be a decent level of agreement.
• He Gauge R&R method analyses what quantity of the variability in your measurement system is because of operator variation (reproducibility) and measurement variation (repeatability). Gauge R&R studies are available for several combinations of crossed and nested models, no matter whether the model is balanced.
• Before performing a Gauge R&R study, you collect a random sample of parts over the complete range of part sizes from your process. Select several operators willy-nilly to live each part several times. The variation is then attributed to the subsequent sources:
• The process variation, from one part to a different. This can be the final word variation that you just want to be studying if your measurements are reliable.
• The variability inherent in making multiple measurements, that is, repeatability. • A Gauge R&R analysis then reports the variation in terms of repeatability and reproducibility
• The variability because of having different operators measure parts—that is, reproducibility.
Project Managers assume the lead job in arranging, executing, observing, controlling and closing Project’s. They are responsible for the whole undertaking extension, Project group, assets, and the achievement or disappointment of the task.
In the event that you are searching for a profession in IT and thinking about whether a task supervisor position is directly for you, IT Career Roadmap: IT anticipate director might be the best spot to begin. Additionally, consider on the off chance that you have the stuff to be an incredible Project administrator. Project Manager is worried about gathering cut off times. There is a task and it should be finished. Everybody needs to do his/her activity and that is the thing that issues the most.
Project Manager has a strategic methodology. Deals with financial plan, plan, cut off times, documentation, staffing, HR, individuals, and so forth Project supervisors are not there to propel individuals however to keep things composed.
Reports the advancement. Is answerable for conveying reports on the undertaking progress and potential hindrances. Is underneath Project pioneer. They don’t have that much opportunity with regards to individuals. Project manager deals with the Project and that is his principle job. Also deals with the business organization and related exercises and synchronizes work to meet the targets.
Project Managers obligations
A Project Managers, with the assistance of their group, is accused of numerous duties that range the five undertaking periods of a Project life cycle (starting, arranging, executing, checking and closing) beneath.
The Project the board stages cross with 10 information zones. The information zones incorporate combination, scope, time, cost, quality, HR, correspondence, chance acquisition and partner the board.
Coordination the executives: Developing an undertaking sanction
Partner the board: Identifying partners
Incorporation the executives: Developing a task the board plan
Degree the board: Defining and overseeing extension, making a work breakdown structure (WBS), and prerequisites gathering
Time the board: Planning, characterizing, and creating plans, exercises, evaluating assets and action terms
Costs the executives: Planning and evaluating costs, and deciding financial plans
Quality administration: Planning and distinguishing quality prerequisites
Human Resource the executives: Planning and distinguishing human asset needs
Interchanges the board: Planning correspondences
Hazard the executives: Planning for and distinguishing potential dangers, performing subjective and quantitative hazard examination, and arranging hazard alleviation procedures
Obtainment the executives: Planning for and recognizing required acquirements
Partner the executives: Planning for partner desires
Joining the executives: Directing and dealing with all work for the undertaking
Quality administration: Performing all parts of overseeing quality
Human asset the executives: Selecting, creating, and dealing with the undertaking group
Correspondences the board: Managing all parts of interchanges
Obtainment the executives: Take activity on making sure about vital acquisitions
Partner the board: Managing all partner desires
Observing and controlling
Joining the board: Monitoring and controlling the Project work and dealing with any vital changes
Degree the executives: Validating and controlling the extent of the task
Time the board: Controlling the extent of the Project
Costs the board: Controlling task costs
Quality administration: Controlling the nature of expectations
Interchanges the executives: Controlling all group and partner correspondences
Acquirement the executives: Controlling acquisitions
Partner the board: Controlling partner commitment
Joining the executives: Closing all periods of the undertaking
Acquisition the board: Closing all Project acquirements
Notwithstanding specialized information, here are eight Project the board aptitudes sought after. Among these, delicate aptitudes like these 11 relational abilities of powerful undertaking pioneers can likewise help Project chiefs exceed expectations in this exceptionally looked for after job. To step things up here are six characteristics of exceptionally powerful undertaking directors that can help set you apart as one of the genuinely extraordinary ones.
How to Measure Process Capability ?
The capability indices will be calculated manually, although there are several software packages available which will complete the calculations and supply graphical data illustrating process capability. For the instance during this section, we'll utilize a well-liked statistical software package. For our example, we'll utilize data from randomly collected measurements of a key characteristic of a machined part. to higher represent the population values, the sample data must be randomly collected, preferably over time from an oversized production run. some things to stay in mind:
• Our data is quantitative and variable
• Our data consists of 100 measurements
• The target dimension is 25.4 mm
• USL (Upper Specification Limit) = 25.527 mm
• LSL (Lower Specification Limit) = 25.273 mm
• Range = 0.254 mm
First, we'll examine our data with an easy histogram to work out if it could fit a traditional distribution. additionally, we are able to generate a probability plot evaluating our data’s best suited a line further indicating we are 95% confident that our data fits a traditional distribution
Now allow us to examine the method capability report:
• Cp (Process Capability = 1.68
• Cpk (Process Capability Index) = 1.66
Using the graph, we are able to further evaluate process capability by comparing the spread or range of the merchandise specifications to the spread of the method data, as measured by Six Sigma (process variance units). Through examination of the reports, we are able to determine that our example process is in a very state of statistical control. All the information points fall well within the specification limits with a traditional distribution. A process where most the measurements fall inside the specification limits is deemed a capable process. Process capability studies are valuable tools when used properly. As previously mentioned the data gained is usually wont to reduce waste and improve product quality. additionally, by knowing your process capabilities, the planning team can work with manufacturing to enhance product quality, and processes that are “not in control” could also be targeted for improvement. During a typical Kaizen event or other quality improvement initiatives, Process Capability is calculated at the beginning and end of the study to live the amount of improvement achieved. Accurate knowledge of process capability enables management to form decisions regarding where to use available resources supported data.